As I was leaving the pool this morning, I thought about this summer verses summers past. This summer holds definite purpose for me. Not to say the others didn’t, but the certainly weren’t as focused or as meaningful as this one is turning out to be.
Last summer I set a goal of attending every Edmonton Festival Possible. The total was 11 (quite a significant number for me as you may know). I shared the pictures via facebook and emailed a ton of pics to a friend who lives across the continent. My daughter and I had the most memorable summer ever.
This summer ChatterBox is a LIT (Leader In Training for the City of Edmonton Summer Camps), so our festival time will be limited. Not that we want to attend all of them, because quite frankly, quite a few were lame. Genetic Offspring and I have plans to go to the Fringe quite a bit, but other than that, my kids are busy.
For me, I have 4 more papers to write and 2 classes to complete. I hope to be face painting a couple more times and I have my half marathon training to complete. The big day is August 22! I will continue to swim daily and eat properly so I can reach my goal of 20lbs down by September. I am giving myself the whole month of September to do it – just in case! But I am confident I will reach that goal easily. I am fortunate enough to be able to go to Disneyland, sans my family, in August. This is to celebrate my 44th birthday, 1 year as the Edmonton Tourist and to fulfill a dream. So as you can see, my summer is purposeful.
I need to start planning new goals to attain. I have been reading blogs where people have 40 things to do before they are 40. Well I missed that boat. However, I learned this year it is NEVER too late to start a list. I have also learned this year if you tell people your hopes, dreams, wishes, and desires, then anything is possible and dreams become reality. I am living proof. So, this Edmonton Tourist is going to make a 50 in 50 list. I will make the list saying “I Will” not “I want” subtle yet different. That will give me 6 years to complete. Are you interested in the list? I am making a disclaimer right here, right now *list is subject to change*. Why you may ask? Well, I am not the same person I was last year. I don’t expect to be the same person next year. The things I think I will do today may not be the reality for me in 4 years. Does that make sense? For example, I want to lay on a white sandy beach on my 50th birthday wearing a bikini and looking all thin and gorgeous. I know I will physically be able to do it, but what if a better opportunity pops up or wearing a bikini isn’t all it is cracked up to be? I want to have flexibility within my list. Here we go!
The Edmonton Tourist’s 50 Things to Do Before She Turns 50
- I will lay on a white sandy beach on my 50th birthday wearing a bikini and looking slim and gorgeous!
- I will walk across the stage at Royal Roads University and collect my MBA
- I will walk the Edmonton Half Marathon in 2011
- I will run a 5km race in 2011
- I will run the Donald half Marathon at WDW
- I will spend 3 days touring the Louvre in Paris with a fellow art lover
- I will go see a Broadway musical
- I will go the the Fireworks Festival in Vancouver
- I will take a cruise from New York to Newfoundland and see an iceberg
- I will go to the Maritimes in the fall to see the trees different colours
- I will eat dinner at the California Grill while watching the Fireworks
- I will read 50 of Time Magazine’s Top 100 Novels
- I will attend Marathon Week in New York and Cheer people on
- I will sit in Central Park on a bench and watch people go by
- I will buy a pair of Christian Louboutin and wear them to dinner at the Bull and Bear restaurant at the Waldorf
- I will travel to Asia and visit the rest of the Disney Theme parks
- I will get promoted and stop working in the classroom
- I will wear an Armani Suit
- I will go to Tiffany & Co on 5th Avenue New York and Buy my key
- I will see magnetic hill
- I will drive to Whitehorse, Yukon in the summer
- I will enter a karaoke competition
- I will go to Vegas and gamble
- I will stand before the Grand Canyon
- I will skinny dip in a creek
- I will go sailing on the ocean
- I will climb to the top of a Lighthouse
- I will watch the entire tv series of Sex in the City
- I will spend several weeks in the mediterranean
- I will see the Parthenon
- I will read Greek Mythology
- I will learn Italian
- I will go to the Chelsea Flower show
- I will watch dwarf tossing
- I will go to a Stanley Cup Final
- I will watch AFI’s 100 movies
- I will make one last quit – Queen size
- I will explore tide pools
- I will drink a glass of scotch
- I will smoke a cigar
- I will photograph a collection of unusual doors
- I will stay up all night to watch the sunrise
- I will go to a comedy club
- I will have my full astrological chart done
- I will have my tea leaves read
- I will go fishing on the ocean
- I will collect tiny pieces of drift wood for a glass bowl
- I will finish my sand collection and collect sand from the major oceans
- I will nap in a hammock
- I will attend a clam bake
What would you add? Or do you have any questions about my list? I like it!!